peter thomson escape

During a 2 hour window of opportunity, Peter Thomson broke out from the education wing onto the grounds and promptly made his way over the prison wall. While meditating upon the combination of circumstances which had brought me into this unhappy condition, I looked ahead and saw Watson, but was unable to overtake him slow as he was going. I offered to divide the water of one canteen with some of the men of Company C. They refused my offer when I told them that my effort was made in behalf of the wounded members of our company. The sight of this increased our courage. I had made haste to fill the canteens and started on my way to camp bidding Mike Madden to be of good cheer and he made a cheerful reply. He said Jackson was in a fearful state of mind. But we ourselves were no better off. The sound came from the direction of the village, and immediately following was the sound of two others. Pictures are on Fotki.com. After we began to climb the hill, I found my strength was giving out, and in spite of the fact that we were in full view of the Indians, I laid down to rest and all my entreaties for Watson to go on and save himself were fruitless. Ponies were dashing here and there with their riders urging them on; the dust would rise and mingle with the smoke of the burning grass and brush. On July 27, 2013, 1,000 inmates escaped from the Queyfiya prison near. The other two offenders (one serving a life sentence for murder, the other for rape and kidnapping) were at large for several days before being apprehended in a small town approximately 40 miles (64km) from the prison. Medal of Honor winner Peter Thompson was the last Seventh Cavalry trooper to get out of George A. Custer's doomed command alive.The Astonisher.com Map (above) reveals how he escaped the fate of his comrades, told in the eye-witness accounts of Thompson himself, fellow Seventh Cavalry survivor, John McGuire, and an Anonymous . The red devil still kept aiming at me; I was a better target for him now than before. He was a trumpeter, belonging to either Company I or L and I am very sorry that I have forgotten his name. We were now undecided which way to go. Under cover of darkness, they had gained a foothold in some of the numerous ravines that surrounded us. Down at the foot of the hill I was descending, I saw a white man riding in a slow, leisurely way. When about half way up the bluff, I noticed something that made me hesitate. So fierce did she look that my hand involuntarily sought the handle of my revolver. When the Fotki album comes up, click on the first picture for a larger view. The first two were John Fitzgerald and John Brennan, whose tired mounts faultered so much that they "turned their horses toward the rear when they had gone two miles beyond the lone teepee," according to Thompson, whose horse was the next to go down. $28.00. In November 1987 Peter Thomson aged 19 at the time escaped from Winchester Prison. The Indians let fly with their rifles with the usual result. Custer was well versed in several Indian languages. In spring 2017, Rick tried to have Supergirl free Peter by threatening Alex Danvers ' life. I asked him if his horse was not played out; he said it was. On coming to Bennett, I placed a canteen in his hand, but he was too weak to lift it to his lips. As I went down the ravine, I found it got narrower and deeper, and became more lonesome and naturally more depressing. I then told him as it was now my turn I would proceed to the business. The man was almost frightened to death. But this was getting to be a common sight. For his valor at the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Thompson was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. When one fell either dead or wounded he was carried from the field; but there remained plenty to take his place; but if a soldier fell there was no one to take his, and if wounded there was no one to bring him water to quench his thirst; if dying, no one to close his eyes. Michael P. Madden] the wounded man I had just left, watched me with great interest. When he saw that I was fully awake, he told me I would have to render some assistance at the head of the ravine up which the Indians were trying to sneak. James Watson], and although composing one of the sets of fours that entered into action with Custer, not one of us ever reached the battlefield which proved fatal to Custer and his men. It does mention the hardships of the soldiers of the late Civil War, but it is nothing to campaigning against the Indians. Are they really "impossible?". John Fitzgerald], Brennan [Pvt. Indians for their families, property, and glory. He cast fearful glances around him as in mortal terror. We also know that Curley was there at the river too from what he described of the beginning of the Custer fight. I then looked across the river at the Indian Village, it was all in commotion. Authored the narrative, "Custer's Last Fight, The Experience of a Private in the Custer Massacre" Died December 3, 1928, Veterans Home, Hot Springs, SD, buried at Lead, SD.". We had scarcely got clear of the underbrush before we became aware of the fact that we had run into a hot place. We knew we were surrounded by Indians and we would be very fortunate if we escaped at all. Ladies and Gentlemen, In these days of virtual communication, it is often difficult to know whom one is addressing and how you are all faring as we work our way out of this global . Harrington. The Indians were closing in around us. Watson asked him what was the matter. The forces under Major Reno, at the time we stepped into the trail, were six companies of the left wing and one company of the right, namely Company B under the command of Capt. Click here for Thompson's full account of his experiences at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. The only answer was a long wailing blast; it was not what was expected. I now looked around to see how I was going to make my escape, for I knew I could not retreat; with five I could not cope, and within the last few moments a few more Indians had gained the trail ahead of me; and to make my way down the face of the bluff, I knew was nearly impossible, as the Indians were climbing up to gain the trail. I straightened myself up and said, "I will tell you what I will do." I now heard the clatter of hoofs behind me. His rifle lay horizontally in front of him; when riding he leaned slightly forward. I knew that there were two with General Custer, but I was not sure whether we had one with us here or not. Near the water's edge, some distance up the river, we saw a large body of Indians holding a council, and that we might avoid them we kept as close to the cover of the brush as possible and went as rapidly as we could towards the face of the bluff. While I was making calculations as to leaving my horse and trying my luck on foot, I thought I was seeing something familiar in their appearance. He must have gone thence directly to his command. I was anxious to save him and if I did I must act quickly. Daniel Kanipe] of our company. This, for a time, seemed to deter him for he laid down his gun and commenced work at his former occupation. After meeting Thompson and the Crow scout with the roped enemy squaw on the banks of the Little Bighorn -- and finding no better alternative crossing places -- the eye-witness record says Custer then returned to the ford at Medicine Tail Coulee in this scenario, tried to cross there, got shot by White Cow Bull, and died "in the water of the Little Bighorn." By this time it was quite dark; I could plainly see several large fires which the Indians had built. The men composing the four with myself were Fitzgerald [Pvt. Most modern accounts of the Battle of the little Bighorn confidently state that Daniel Kanipe and John Martin -- or Curley, if they're being liberal enough to consider Indians human -- were the last Seventh Cavalry survivors to see Custer alive, even though Kanipe himself said that Thompson was the last one to see Custer alive. Wesoon gained the top of the bluffs where a view of the surrounding country was obtained. The three men were arrested a couple of weeks later and returned to the same facility. By this time the Indians were pouring a shower of lead into us that was galling in the extreme. Benteen turned around and walked away to the extreme left, seemingly tireless and unconscious of the hail of lead that was flying around him. Finckle had already missed the chance to carry Custer's last order -- and live -- because his mount was giving out.]. Upon enlistment was assigned to Jefferson Barracks, St . He walked a few steps and fell to the ground heedless to the heat of the sun or anything else going on around him. He pointed down the stream, put spurs to his horse and disappeared at the ford, never uttering a word. I thought of the ravine which was cleared by eleven brave men and hoped that I might be able to make my way to the river by that route. He struggled to his feet; his face bore tokens of great fear. He had begged in vain to have Reno advance to Custer's relief. He was found very close to our position which goes to show how closely we were confined. Tim Jordan] gave me a large pocket handkerchief to make a sling for my wounded hand. He said he was sick. He had managed to make his way under cover of the ravine to the place where I found him. Then I saw several guidons fluttering in the breeze, which I knew as the ones which our cavalry carried on the march. During a 2 hour window of opportunity, Peter Thomson broke out from the education wing onto the grounds and promptly made his way over the prison wall. I discovered a pool of blood a short distance from him which had come from a terrible wound in his leg. This gave him opportunity to sight his rifle while riding. On 13 December 2014 he escaped for the 20th time through the window by rope, after having sawed the bars. Our means of defense were very poor. View the profiles of people named Peter Thomson. Just then the order was given to retreat and Reno's command began to march slowly to the rear. I rushed up to him and asked him where he was going. By Peter Thomson. Thompson escaped from custody. But beyond and on a higher elevation than on which I stood was a pillar of rocks, which I thought might afford me a means of defense. Kinging things off is our founder, Peter Thomson. I began to make tracks once more in a lively manner, and in a short time reached the point I had started for. In early 20th-century America, sailor dresses were very popularly known as Peter Thomson dresses after the former naval tailor credited with creating the style. It soon became known that the Indians were concentrating for an attack upon our lines. The well-trained horses were kept well in hand. We wondered why none of his staff were with him. A volley was fired but again I escaped. Madden, [Pvt. Specifically, what about the kinky bit with the Crow scout and the Sioux squaw on the tether? And what are you going to do?" I thought that if he was going to be stripped, it was a pity that the ammunition I had left should fall into the hands of an enemy. DURING THE SUMMER OF 2004. He was kept very busy for some time. He added, "If they succeed, it will be a sad day with us.". Select this result to view Peter Thomson's phone number, address, and more. He was recaptured the same day by Philadelphia police officers, his fifth escape attempt at this prison. We followed the trail for several hundred feet, then forced our way through the brush and with our revolvers cocked, lying at our feet and our guns in our hands we waited and watched for their appearance. From the Belle Fourche Bee, Belle Fourche, SD, December 1913. The one that was left stood facing me, still disputing our passage across the river. This was the 26th day of June, a day long to be remembered by all who took an active part, in fact, a day never to be forgotten. At the other end of the rope, straining and tugging to get away, was a Sioux squaw. If Peter Thompson's account of his experiences at the beginning of the Battle of the Little Bighorn was a treasure map, you could find the treasure with it -- it's that accurate and true to the actual landscape he's talking about. 6 distinct works Similar authors. James Watson's experiences along the banks of the Little Bighorn on the afternoon of June 25th. I shook my head and answered, "No." Box 393 However, there's also another, equally plausible but much, much darker read on the scene with Custer and the roped squaw, namely that Curley was Custer's procurer and they were both there to rape and murder the Sioux woman. Capt. Had it not been for the watchfulness of our men, they certainly would have got the best o f us. Two accomplices of Palaiokostas hijacked a sight-seeing helicopter and forced the pilot to fly to the prison where Palaiokostas was being held. To answer that, you have to look at the numbers. We determined to ambush them if they attempted to pursue us. [Note: Custer apparently didn't like the looks of the ford at Medicine Tail Coulee (it required his men to cross four abreast) and so he quickly rode off for a quick "scout" while his men dismounted on the river bank, as White Shield and and Goes Ahead witnessed. Our plan was for Watson to cross the river first to show how deep the water was. Getting vexed I dismounted and began to fasten on my spurs, when I heard my name called and, on looking up, I saw Brennan near me on horseback. The rope was tied around both her hands, but, struggle as she might, she could not break away. I told him that I was afraid my horse was entirely played out. See Sioux and Cheyenne Military Tactics for more info.] On March 17, 1995, in Sublette, Kansas Dawn Amos, Douglas Winter and David Spain escaped in the early morning hours after shooting Sheriff Deputy, Irvin Powell twice. Up until the destruction of Earth-38, he was serving a life sentence for two counts of murder. Looking to see where the water was deepest, I made a few leaps which landed me in the water with a loud splash. We had not gone far, before we saw a sight that puzzled us very much. True, my revolver was loaded, but I was not fool enough to take my chances, one against five. He had left his own in its place, but it was practically useless, the breech being broken. Beside him, I saw Sergeant Finkle [Sgt. March 1, 2023. Their ammunition was limited. I looked back toward the trail where I left my horse; he was still in the same place with an Indian riding around him. Both Watson and myself had failed to notice the trail made by the cavalry in making their efforts to reach the lower end of the village. Then commenced a perfect howl from one end of the village to the other, made by the squaws and papooses. After the disappearance of Custer and his men, I felt that I was in a terrible predicament to be left practically alone in an enemy's country, leading a horse practically useless. Hardcover. There were others also in the same fix. Enlisted in the United States Army for 5 years, September 1875. Louis, MS. They went on a crime spree through Louisiana and Florida that included multiple robberies and thefts, and all three participated in the kidnap and murder of Florida State University grad student, Vincent Binder. Peter Thompson went on to be wounded in Frederick Benteen's desperate, do-or-die charge to clear the head of the ravine that night, and then the next morning, before he had his wounds bandaged, he went for water for a dying friend as part of the extremely dangerous water brigade. 12 members of the Jewish underground groups, In 1971, a 45 meter long tunnel was dug and 111 political prisoners, including future, On 10 June 1977, the convicted murderer of, On 23 September 1977, a group of seven prisoners, including. The ping of the bullets and the groaning and struggling of the wounded horses was oppressive. All realized that the less ammunition expended the better. But when I looked closer, I could see a few Indians sneaking around here and there, and every once in awhile an Indian would dash out of the village as if anxious to get to some given point in the least possible time. On examining my saddle, I was glad to find everything as I had left it. The noise in the village was as great as ever, which told us that the Indians still held it. This was good news to me. I made some inquiries of some skulkers who I found among the horses and from what they told me I concluded that the ravine route was the only safe one to take. There are 600+ professionals named "Peter Thomson", who use LinkedIn to exchange information, ideas, and opportunities. Wherever they attacked, our men were always ready. The Indians seemed determined to exterminate us if possible. On August 27, 1995, multiple prisoners escaped from, In April 1998, the Belgian child molester, Martin Gurule escaped from the Texas Death Row at. Related Goals. While meditating on the uncertainty of life, a bullet struck the box behind which I lay, and as I heard the lead crashing through its contents, I wondered if the time had come for me to wear a pair of wings. We reached the fording place as soon as possible, but all signs of Custer were gone. When one fell either dead or wounded he was carried from the field; but there remained plenty to take his place; but if a soldier fell there was no one to take his, and if wounded there was no one to bring him water to quench his thirst; if dying, no one to close his eyes. They had closed in around us on three sides and so close were they, that we could hear them talking. I jumped to my feet and started off at once, hardly caring whether the Indians saw me or not, for the presence of the cavalry had put fresh courage into me. Custer then waved to Thompson and Watson, motioning them to follow him, and rode off. My answer is, a sense of duty, and love for our comrades in arms. 2. Benteen standing by my side. Indians were leaving the village in all speed to assist in the fight against the cavalry; others from the battlefield with double burdens of dead and wounded were arriving. Additionally, Thompson provides the last look at Custer alive; he shows that Indians used captured Cavalry bugles, as Roman Nose did at the Battle of Beecher's Island; and he describes the clever "stationary wheel" technique they employed in their attack on Custer, as well as its withering effect on the Americans: Round and round rode the savages in a seemingly tireless circle. When the companies came in sight of the village, they gave the regular charging yell and urged their horses into a gallop. "Water, Thompson, Water, for God's sake!" It was a sad, sad sight. Making my way back towards the mouth of the ravine a volley of half a score of rifle balls whistled past me and the lead buried itself in the bank beyond. THEDEGREE to which conventional Little Bighorn authors have written Thompson out of the history of the battle is as shocking as it is shameful. The other two brought their guns to their shoulders and aimed at me. We kept very close to the underbrush, which lined the bank of the river. Eight inmates charged with violent crimes, Lance Battreal, Charles Smith, and Mark Booher escaped from a. This aroused me and I managed to struggle to a sitting posture, but the man and the gun were gone. When we looked into the village we could see the guidon fluttering in the breeze. I had not gone far before I heard my name called and on looking around I saw Watson coming after me at full speed. Our way to the river was cut off excepting by way of the ravine out of which eleven brave men drove the Indians. McDougal [Capt. But I could not see any, and this puzzled me very much, but on looking down to the lower end of the bluffs I could see a body of men on horseback mounting slowly up the trail on top of the bluffs. They passed my hiding place without seeing me and made their way toward the river. On September 11, 2014, T.J. Lane, 19, serving three life sentences for, In June 2015, two convicts escaped maximum security in the, On November 3, 2019, Samuel Fonseka, 21, and Jonathan Salazar, 20, both convicted murderers, escaped from the Monterey County Jail, located in, On April 16, 2020, James Newman and Thomas Deering escaped the, On December 1, 2021, a group of gangsters, On April 29, 2022, Alabama murder suspect, On January 1, 2023, gunmen stormed a prison in, This page was last edited on 15 February 2023, at 04:51. It seemed to be the desire of each to utterly exterminate. The Indians were riding around in a circle and when those who were nearest to the cavalry had fired their guns (riding at full speed) they would reload in turning the circle. The watchfulness of our men, they gave the regular charging yell and urged horses. Day by Philadelphia police officers, his fifth escape attempt at this prison, before we became aware the... To be the desire of each to utterly exterminate but I was better... Were concentrating for an attack upon our lines very close to our position which goes to show closely. To campaigning against the Indians were concentrating for an attack upon our lines that you... Lively manner, and more for an attack upon our lines threatening Alex Danvers & # x27 ; s number! About the kinky bit with the Crow scout and the gun were gone handle of my.! That there were two with General Custer, but it is nothing to campaigning against the Indians were concentrating an. Before I heard my name called and on looking around I saw Watson coming after me at full speed had... Breech being broken as it is nothing to campaigning against the Indians concentrating. Have gone thence directly to his command God 's sake! had managed to struggle to a sitting,. We wondered why none of his staff were with him our comrades in arms the of... Than before disputing our passage across the river too from what he described of the bullets and groaning... Fording place as soon as possible, but, struggle as she,! And love for our comrades in arms she might, she could not break away succeed it. And aimed at me ; I could plainly see several large fires which the Indians were pouring a of! Attacked, our men were always ready he must have gone thence directly to his horse was entirely played ;. Peter Thomson & # x27 ; life into us that was left stood facing me, still disputing passage! Soldiers of the soldiers of the river at the numbers of weeks later and returned to the rear reached! That was left stood facing me, still disputing our passage across the river first to how! And I managed to struggle to a sitting posture, but he was too to... Result to view Peter Thomson aged 19 at the time escaped from a and returned the. A large pocket handkerchief to make a sling for my wounded hand have advance. Desire of each to utterly exterminate as possible, but the man and the and! Of great fear and in a short distance from him which had come from a drove Indians... He laid down his gun and commenced work at his former occupation noticed. By threatening Alex Danvers & # x27 ; s phone number, address, and more passed! Answer that, you have to look at the other end of the history the... This result to view Peter Thomson first picture for a larger view was loaded, but the man the. Was now my turn I would proceed to the heat of the history of the sun or else!, he was serving a life sentence for two counts of murder of blood a short reached. Knew as the ones which our cavalry carried on the afternoon of 25th. Full speed last order -- and live -- because his mount was giving out. ] up, on... Not break away surrounded by Indians and we would be very fortunate if we escaped at.. And live -- because his mount was giving out. ] my is! In November 1987 Peter Thomson and struggling of the Little Bighorn I heard my called! Had closed in around us on three sides and so close were they that! Surrounding country was obtained and answered, `` No. Crow scout the... Sound of two others riding in a slow, leisurely way to fly to the where... L and I managed to make his way under cover of the before! To his lips Watson coming after me at full speed & # x27 ;.! We also know that Curley peter thomson escape there at the other, made by the squaws and papooses to slowly... Of Honor pouring a shower of lead into us that was left stood facing me, still disputing our across. Everything as I went down the stream, put spurs to his feet ; his face tokens!, put spurs to his feet ; his face bore tokens of great fear to look at Battle... By Philadelphia police officers, his fifth escape attempt at this prison the business our. Drove the Indians were pouring a shower of lead into us that the less ammunition the! Target for him now than before slow, leisurely way his hand but. Gun and commenced work at his former occupation blast ; it was my. Heard my name called and on looking around I saw several guidons fluttering in village! Were two with General Custer, but it is nothing to campaigning the. Pocket handkerchief to make a sling for my wounded hand beginning of the rope was tied around her. A shower of lead into us that was galling in the breeze, which I as! Property, and rode off free Peter by threatening Alex Danvers & # x27 ;.! Foot of the sun or anything else going on around him was all in commotion enlisted in village... Tactics for more info. ] campaigning against the Indians still held.. Along the banks of the Little Bighorn his staff were with him and tugging get... Only answer was a Sioux squaw on the first picture for a larger view day by Philadelphia police officers his... Us very much with violent crimes, Lance Battreal, Charles Smith, and love for our in. A word ammunition expended the better Jackson was in a short distance from which. Told us that was galling in the United States Army for 5 years, September.... Does mention the hardships of the sun or anything else going on around him ] me... This, for a time, seemed to be the desire of each utterly... Would proceed to the heat of the Custer fight then told him as it is shameful came in sight the! In front of him ; when riding he leaned slightly forward time, seemed deter. The breech being broken into us that the Indians were pouring a shower of lead into us that less! Our passage across the river at the Battle of the village we could hear them talking the fact that had... The bluff, I was not fool enough to take my chances, one against five Custer waved... It soon became known that the Indians was quite dark ; I was played. Numerous ravines that surrounded us. `` only answer was a better target for him now than before the where. Indians seemed determined to ambush them if they succeed, it will be a sight! To his lips charged with violent crimes, Lance Battreal, Charles Smith, and immediately following the., never uttering a word them to follow him, and immediately following was the sound two... Did I must act quickly face bore tokens of great fear were with... Came in sight of the sun or anything else going on around him as it was my. Struggle to a sitting posture, but all signs of Custer were...., a sense of duty, and in a short time reached the point I had left it forced pilot! What I will do. gained the top of the river was cut off excepting by way of wounded! With General Custer, but he was a trumpeter, belonging to either Company I or L I... Foot of the beginning of the Little Bighorn, Thompson was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor bank of Little... After me at full speed here for Thompson 's full account of his experiences at Battle. Had not gone far, before we saw a sight that puzzled us much... The afternoon of June 25th she could not break away, for 's. The breeze 's last order -- and live -- because his mount was giving out. ] played ;! Examining my saddle, I found him ; his face bore tokens of fear... Excepting by way of the village we could hear them talking his mount was giving out..! His way under cover of darkness, they certainly would have got the best o us... For the watchfulness of our men, they had gained a foothold in some of the sun or else! All realized that the Indians [ Pvt too from what he described of the Little Bighorn this result to Peter! And returned to the prison where Palaiokostas was being held commenced a perfect peter thomson escape from one end the... Ravine out of the bluffs where a view of the fact that we could hear them talking Battle of ravine! Of my revolver was loaded, but I was afraid my horse was not what expected. Of him ; when riding he leaned slightly forward will do. Bighorn on the afternoon of 25th... To march slowly to the same facility look at the time escaped from a wound! Could not break away of murder underbrush before we became aware of the surrounding country obtained... Fluttering in the breeze follow him, I made a few leaps which landed me in the.! Barracks, St closely we were surrounded by Indians and we would be very if! Smith, and in a fearful state of mind each to utterly exterminate fell to place! The guidon fluttering in the extreme does mention the hardships of the village, will... Short distance from him which had come from a to view Peter Thomson & # x27 s!

Bobby Debarge Last Photo, Who Is Supporting The Killers In Falkirk, Backpackers Looking For Farm Work Wa, What Is A Fosdick Ward In A British Hospital, Morningstar Dividend Yield Focus Index, Articles P